Monday 1 September 2014

APPLICATION PROCESS

I wouldn't of been able to get to Canada without actually applying in the first place so I thought I would compile a post all about the application process. Hopefully this will help out future exchange students and could also benefit people just in there general travels...

RESEARCH, RESEARCH RESEARCH

  • I know this is the boring part for most people but it needs to be done. I quite like doing research on a new place as it gets you excited about what the future holds and what adventures there are to come.
  • Look at all of your options and if your stuck between two create a list of the good and bad points of both and then sum them up - although usually you will be drawn to one.
  • Speak to people who have already been - I probably tormented Louise with my endless questions but it's worth it.
APPLICATION FORM
  • Once you know your preferences you can go ahead and fill out that form. I know this is probably the first scary step in the process but TRUST ME you will never regret it.
  • Take some time to write down the information you have gathered and really think about why you want to go and then simply but pen to paper.
  • The form at RGU is pretty simple and they don't need your life story (like I did) but they want to know why YOU should go over other people so make sure you have done your research (I did say it was an important step)
  • Once you are satisfied simply just a
SAVE, SAVE, SAVE
  • Even though you probably won't find out the status of your application for a couple of months I would suggest to start saving now.
  • You'll need to pay for flights/accomodation and food while your away and they cost quite a lot of money and of course you'll want to travel.
  • Treat this as a once in a lifetime thing and the things you can scrimp on at home will be worth it when you are on your exchange.
DON'T PANIC
  • When you receive that email DO NOT PANIC! I had been waiting all day and just broke down as soon as I opened it but read it carefully as it will full explain what to do next.
ACCEPT/DECLINE/ASK
  • If you have done all of the above and have been a model student I am pretty sure you will be happy happy happy right now and all you have to do is accept and start planning your adventure.
  • Don't get me wrong, if your not happy then speak to the study abroad office and they will be able to see what they can do.
CRY/JUMP AROUND
  • You'll feel some kind of crazy emotion at this point so just go with it. This was the moment that everything dropped for me...CRAP I'M ACTUALLY DOING THIS!
  • Just know that everything will be ok!
aaaaaand SMILE you've done it - here's to your next adventure!

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment